Find the answers for many of your frequently asked dental questions here. Dr. Richard C. Rampi, Dr. Justin E. Palmer, Dr. Richard A. Rampi, and “the crew” are committed to providing you with the best possible dental care.
What is Dentistry?
Dentistry is the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of conditions, disorders, and diseases of the teeth, gums, mouth, and jaw. Often considered necessary for complete oral health, dental care can have an impact on the health of your entire body.
What is a dentist?
A dentist is a highly trained healthcare professional who works to diagnose, treat, and prevent oral health problems. Dr. R.C. Rampi, Dr. J.E. Palmer, and Dr. R.A. Rampi have completed at least eight years of schooling to obtain their Doctorates of Dental Medicine.
Technically, there are nine specialties in dentistry. The more common ones include:
- Endodontics (root canals)
- Oral and maxillofacial (including pathology, and surgery)
- Orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics (braces)
Pedodontics (children’s dentistry)
- Periodontics (gum disease)
- Prosthodontics (implants)
Why is visiting the dentist so important?
Visiting our office regularly will not only help keep your teeth and mouth healthy but will also help keep the rest of your body healthy. Dental care is vital for many reasons, including:
- Helps prevent tooth decay
- Protects against periodontal (gum) disease which can lead to tooth loss and loss of jawbone
- Prevent bad breath; brushing, flossing, and seeing us regularly will help reduce the amount of bacteria in your mouth that causes bad breath
- Gives you a more attractive smile which can increase your self-confidence
- Helps keep teeth looking bright by preventing them from becoming stained by food, drinks, and tobacco
- Strengthens your teeth so you can enjoy a healthy, beautiful smile!
My teeth feel fine; do I still need to see a dentist?
Your teeth may feel fine, but it’s still worthwhile to see the dentist regularly because problems can exist without your knowing. Your smile’s appearance is essential, and we can help keep it healthy and looking beautiful.
With so many advances in dentistry, you no longer have to settle for stained, chipped, missing, or misshapen teeth. Today’s dentists offer many treatment choices that can help you smile with confidence, including:
- Professional teeth whitening
- Fillings that mimic the appearance of natural teeth
- Tooth replacement
- Full smile makeovers
What should I look for when choosing the right dentist for me?
Choosing a dentist who clicks with you and your family is important, and you may wish to consider several dentists before making your final decision. During your first visit, you should be able to determine whether a dentist is right for you. During your appointment, consider the following:
- Is the appointment schedule convenient?
- Is the office easy to get to and close by?
- Does the office appear to be clean and orderly?
- Was your medical and dental history recorded and placed in a permanent file?
- Does the dentist explain techniques for good oral health?
- Is information about cost presented to you before treatment is scheduled?
- Is your dentist a member of the ADA (American Dental Association)?
How can I take care of my teeth between dental checkups?
Always remember to brush your teeth at least two times a day, and floss at least once. Make sure to use toothpaste that contains fluoride, and ask our team if you need a fluoride rinse. This will help prevent cavities.
Avoid foods with a lot of sugar (which increases the number of bacteria that grows in your mouth and can cause more plaque and potential cavities), and avoid tobacco (which can stain your teeth, cause gum disease, and eventually lead to oral cancer).
Don’t be afraid to brush your tongue! This will remove food particles and reduce the amount of plaque-causing bacteria. Tongue brushing also helps keep your breath fresh.
Be sure to schedule your routine checkup. It is recommended that you visit our office every six months.
Do you have any questions left unanswered?
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions, especially for one of the doctors, or regarding financial matters related to fees or insurance coverage. Click here to contact us.